Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Closing Day Part 2 - Copper Bowl

 

 
                                             Closing Day Part 2 - Copper Bowl
 

 

April 18th was the 3rd Closing Day of our dwindling ski season, following Arrowhead and Bachelor Gulch on the 4th, and the rest of Beaver Creek on the 11th.  On the this Sunday, Vail and the Copper Bowl area at Copper Mountain stopped running their lifts for the season.  Copper Mountain is a place I used to ski when I lived in Denver, and still used skinny skis that were longer than I am.  Once I moved to Eagle County, I pretty much skied just Beaver Creek and A Basin.  But last year, when A Basin switched from being an Epic Pass resort to the Ikon Pass, I switched too.  It was the tipping point between the two pass options for me, and after fifteen years of skiing The Beav I was ready to challenge myself with some new terrain.  Beaver Creek is still my favorite place to ski, but the Ikon Pass offers the opportunity to explore Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain and the Aspen area resorts.

Of those areas, the one that I've enjoyed the most is Copper Mountain, which has been a total revelation.  Last year when I switched to the Ikon also happened to be the year that Copper opened another lift into the Copper Bowl area called Three Bears. That new lift accesses an entirely new reach of Copper Bowl that was only accessible by hoofing it. When skiing Copper Mountain, I usually spend most of my time in Copper Bowl because I love high altitude above tree line skiing like that. Not only is Three Bears pretty fast, but it has a lot of elevation gain for its short length which takes you up well over 12,000 feet. It's also a three-wide chair, so there's room to lay down on it and relax.  From the top of Three Bears, you can make a short lateral hike over to a run called Boulderado, which is an east-facing run with spectacular views of the Ten Mile Range, the Mosquitos, Fremont Pass and the Collegiate Peaks.  The hardest part of the run is not being so distracted by the views so that you forget to ski.  Since it takes a short walk to get to, and there's a rocky section to navigate to get into the good stuff, not many people do it.  


Most of Copper Mountain was scheduled to close on the 25th of April, but since the lifts servicing Copper Bowl closed on the 18th that became "my" Closing Day.  Due to having a river shuttle to run that morning I didn't get there until almost noon.  I can make it to Copper from my house in an hour flat if I ignore the fantastical stories my speedometer is trying to tell me, and for Closing Day I made it there in 55. After several runs in Copper Bowl alternating between the older lifts and Three Bears, I decided to head over to Boulderado, which from the other lifts looked perfect.  After a short hike over to it, I saw that the gate was closed.  Not one to let a piece of orange rope decide my course of action, I ducked under it, picked my way through the rocks, and found myself atop of one of the nicest runs in Colorado, and that's saying something.  Down below at the more pedestrian altitudes, the snow was already becoming a bit mushy. But at 12,000 feet it was just right , light and soft and ice-cold.  I skied down the upper face of Boulderado, and veered a bit left to get back to the in-bounds area. There were only a couple of other sets of tracks in the next middle section of the run, but they were a day or two old and the wind had already filled them back in.  
 
  That middle part of the run was as great as any I've ever skied, the pitch was steep but the snow had just the right amount of give to it.  Turns were effortless.  At the bottom of the middle section, I looked up and down and saw nary another skier in sight. I couldn't want to get back to Three Bears and run it again.  I pushed off and began the bottom stretch which seemed to go forever, with just some scattered tops of baby spruce trees poking through like green pylons.  I was being totally seduced by the snow and sun and perfect powder, much as I had the previous Sunday coming down from the top of Beaver Creek's Bald Spot.

 Then, halfway down that seemingly endless bottom run my brain turned back on. I looked up the hill at where I'd just skied, then down at where I was going, and in my brain heard the words, Oh. Shit. My thought process changed from, What Great Untracked Powder! to, There Are No Other Tracks Here, Is there A Reason For That?  There was, and it wasn't that I was the only smart enough to have found it, but ecause I was the only one stupid enough to have skied below the point where one could use gravity to get back to a chairlift.  I remembered then that the last time I skied here a couple of weeks before there is a catwalk to get back over to Three Bears. Even the faint tracks I had seen on upper part were gone.  The catwalk wasn't marked with any kind of sign, and in my blissed out state, with endorphins flooding my brain, I had totally forgotten about it. 

  Looking up into the brilliant, high altitude sun I tried to determine how far uphill I would have to hike to get back to elusive catwalk.  My best guess, (now using my brain which was registering some activity once more), it looked to be at least a hundred feet above me, maybe more.  Now I had a decision to make.  Did I hike straight back uphill to the security of a trail that I knew was up there somewhere, or just keep going downhill and hope that there would be some kind of service road or trail that would take me back to Three Bears?  I looked uphill again at would undoubtedly be an exhausting hike, and then down towards the rest of the run that beckoned me like some lascivious, beckoning siren calling to Ulyesses with her legs held apart.  Unlike Ulyesses, I needed wax to cover my eyes and not my ears, for the sight of that lower bit of out-of-bounds run was just too tempting.  Or to borrow a different analogy, would it be the lady or the tiger?  I tried to guess where I would end up if I went downhill.  I knew that Highway 91, the road that went due south from Copper to the top of Fremont Pass would be down there somewhere, but how far? When I visualized that lower part of Highway 91, all I could think of was a very steep wall of rock running alongside the highway. If I skied downhill, would I end up being cliffed out, and have to climb back up the way I came?  I drive that road with my propane truck a few times a year, but I've never contemplated it from this perspective. 

I looked at my phone to see if I had a signal, thinking that it would be a good idea to let my wife know about the predicament I'd gotten myself into.  But of course, I had no signal.  Colorado is a state where you can't drive in the any direction for five minutes without losing your cell phone signal. Something to do with these damn mountains.  In the end, it wasn't that difficult of a choice, but I'm not sure if it was the lady, or the tiger.  Maybe a lady that would change into a tiger? The snow was too good, and maybe there would be a service road, and after all Fremont Pass Road had to be down there somewhere
 

So down I went, to the lower part of the run which skied as well or better than the top. I sure hoped that it would be worth it.  I kept looking left, hoping to see some way to get back but there was none.  I was probaly not  the first person to ever skied this, for surely someone must have been this stupid before.  But I might have been.  Nothing new under the high altitude sun, and all that.  But by the time I got to the bottom, there was no service road or trail to bail me out.  I would have to follow the drainage, and see where it ended up.  At first the going wasn't too bad, it became a narrow tree run with plenty of deep snow.  But the fact that it didn't have so much as a game trail was a bit worrisome.  The cliffs closed in on both sides, and my downhill options became more and more limited.  I had to cross Copper Creek a couple of times which was under a deep bed of snow, taking care to keep my skis perpendicular to it so I wouldn't fall in.  Eventually it became too narrow to ski, so it was more like snowshoeing only with very long and heavy snowshoes.  I began to hear the sounds of traffic below, but couldn't tell how far away the highway was. The sound echoed off the steep canyon walls on either side, and the highway could be 500 or 5000 feet away, and there was no way to tell how much of an elevation drop there was.  Then the snow ran out, so I had to take my skis off and shoulder them. The ground was pretty soft though, so the hiking in my ski boots wasn't too hard. 

The ground began to level a bit, and the canyon walls opened back up.  Through the tops of the trees I saw a movement and a heard a truck roaring up the hill, and knew I was getting closer to Fremont Pass.  Some signage appeared, and I hoped that maybe I had found some kind of cat track that I could ski back to Copper Mountain on.  But it wasn't a sign for the ski area, I was at the bottom of the Climax molybdenum mine complex, and was at least a couple miles up the road from Copper's base.  When I got closer to Highway 91, I saw a bridge that went over the road which connected to some kind of trail on the opposite side of Ten Mile Creek.  On a trip through there last summer I saw them installing that bridge, and thought that it was for some kind of bike trail.  Maybe I could ski down that trail back to Copper Mountain. On closer inspection though, the bridge wasn't for recreation but to support a pipeline that ran underneath it. With skiing back to Copper not being an option, I hiked down to the highway and crossed it.  There was a big wide turnout just below the bridge, which made for a good spot to hitchhike from.  The road from top of Fremont Pass was very straight, and gave drivers plenty of time to see me and lots of room to pull over to pick me up.

  The first truck coming down the hill was a brand new Tundra and it didn't slow down a bit.  That was OK, I didn't expect the first vehicle to stop.  There was a gap in time, and then the next couple of vehicles that went by were cars.  Since I was holding skis and we are still in the Time Of Covid I didn't expect a car or SUV to stop.  For them I barely even tried, and would convert my right hand from a thumbs up posture to a wave with a smile before they were even past me.  However there are a lot of pickup trucks in this part of the world, so I hoped that one of them would let me hop in back.  The next truck that came by was a shiny white F-150, but it didn't slow either.  Then came a late model Tacoma, and being a Toyota truck driver myself I thought, surely he would be able to tell that I was a kindred spirit.  Nope, it went past doing at least 80mph.  Next up was a big Dodge truck, but since it seems that Dodge trucks have a higher proportion of assholes behind the wheel than any other vehicle, my expectations were low. He roared past and I thought oh well, confirmation bias.  Then a little while later it was a new Chevrolet pickup, and soon I was zero for five.  It occurred to me that all of these trucks were too new, and that it would probably be an old beater that would finally stop.  The gaps between vehicles became longer, and I wondered if I would get back in time to make another run or two.  But I didn't mind standing there that much, for it was a beautiful day and at least I wasn't somewhere up on the mountain with a broken leg, or headfirst in a tree well. 

 Then a twenty year old red Chevy pickup came into view, and I thought, Oh yeah, here's the guy.  But it was going so fast I didn't think that he could stop even if he wanted to.  My hand changed from a thumbs up to a wave, and as I looked back towards the pass to see what was coming next I heard the Chevy's tires abruptly slow.  Looking over my shoulder, I saw that he had needed all of the turnout to arrest his speed but had done it. I started running down the hill to get to him before he changed his mind, but then his backup lights came on and I knew he wasn't one of those people who look like they're going to pick you up, then speed off just as you get to their car.  I've had that happen to me before, and its very disheartening.  I got side of the Chevy and the heavily-tinted windows opened.  There were Mexicans inside, and they smiled and gestured towards the back of truck.  I tried to explain what I'd done to put myself in that spot, but they just kept smiling and I got the impression that their command of English was probably about as good as my Spanish.  The back of their truck was piled high with trash bags filled with recycling.  I climbed up on top of the bags and gave them a thumbs up, and we were off.  Before long were going down that hill very fast, to the point I could feel my cheeks flapping like I was on a rocket sled. On top of the pile of trash bags I was at the mercy of the wind, so I dug out my goggles and that helped.  Checking my watch, I saw that I should be able to get back in time for another couple of runs, and was going to straight back to Copper Bowl if I had the time. 

  At the bottom of the hill we approached the turnoff for Copper Mountain, and I expected him to pull over to let me out.  But the traffic light was green, and my guardian angel didn't even take his foot off the gas. I leaned over the side of the truck and gave the fender a couple of good thumps with an open hand.  The driver seemed to be a little startled by that. I think that either he forgot I was there, or maybe he was just planning on recycling me too. We were past the light and almost to the onramp for I-70 but again he braked hard and stopped on the shoulder of the road.  I hopped out and waved, and with a couple of heartfelt "Gracias" bid them farewell. 

  It was a hell of a long walk to the Superbee lift, but compared to picking my way down out of Copper Bowl it was a walk in the park, (with ski boots). I was able to get to the top of the mountain again, but was disappointed to see that the backside was already closed.  I finished that with a couple of fast cruisers, playing my single ski pole like a bass guitar. It had been another terrific Closing Day, not exactly what I expected but that's why I won't forget it soon!

  Jack Bombardier

  jackbombardier@hotmail.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment